LOUISVILLE, Ky.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Peterbilt Motors Company announces a lightweight option package, providing customers the ability to increase efficiency, maximize payload, enhance performance, and reduce operational costs. Peterbilt’s lightweight package includes a variety of weight saving components that provide customers with day cabs as low as 14,200 lbs, and sleeper configurations as low as 15,800 lbs.
“Legislative requirements have resulted in increased vehicle weight, driving carriers to re-evaluate every component to find a solution that increases operational efficiency”
“Legislative requirements have resulted in increased vehicle weight, driving carriers to re-evaluate every component to find a solution that increases operational efficiency,” said Bill Jackson, PACCAR vice president and Peterbilt general manager. “Peterbilt can satisfy customers’ needs through our lightweight vehicle designs which meet their operational requirements and help increase profitability.”
The complete lightweight package includes features such as:
- PACCAR MX ENGINE – The MX engine’s technologically advanced design provides leading fuel economy and excellent performance, with horsepower up to 485 hp and 1,750 lbs of torque.
- COMPOSITE SPRINGS – Composite front springs are rated at 12,000 lbs and have been extensively tested to ensure superb on highway durability.
- ALUMINUM COMPONENTS – Peterbilt offers more aluminum features than any other brand in the industry. All Peterbilt trucks are made with aluminum cabs with lap seam construction and bulkhead doors for added toughness and corrosion resistance. In addition, aluminum bell housing and aluminum crossmembers are offered to reduce weight.
- BATTERIES – The aluminum space saver battery box helps package chassis components to reduce wheelbase requirements. Also, a battery disconnect system preserves the battery power when a truck is idle for an extended period of time, allowing the need for only two batteries instead of four.
- ALUMINUM FIFTH WHEEL AND ILS SLIDER – The Holland aluminum top plate, FWAL, in combination with the ILS Slider, is the world’s lightest standard duty fifth wheel, and features NoLube technology, which means no grease on the top plate or the locks.
- REAR DRIVE TRAIN – Peterbilt’s proprietary FLEXAir suspension is comprised of a lightweight aluminum drive beam providing low weight and ride height. In addition, the drive train features the only aluminum rear axle housing unit in the industry, as well as wide based tires with aluminum wheels for maximum weight savings.
Peterbilt’s lightweight package is available on Peterbilt’s full line-up of line haul and pick up and delivery vehicles, and can be spec’d as a complete package or individually based on the customer’s needs.
About Peterbilt Motors Company
Based in Denton, Texas, Peterbilt Motors Company combines a global reputation for industry leading design, innovative engineering and fuel efficiency solutions, with superior quality to engineer a truck that stands as the “Class” of the industry. Through its 250-plus North American dealer locations, Peterbilt also provides a comprehensive array of TruckCare® programs to support its full lineup of vehicles, including alternative fueled vehicles, with aftermarket support programs. Customers enjoy industry leading service and support, including preventive maintenance plans, expedited QuickCare services, automated parts inventory replenishment and 24/7 complimentary Customer Assistance through 1-800-4-Peterbilt. For more information about Peterbilt, visit www.peterbilt.com.
Peterbilt is a PACCAR Company, traded publicly on the NASDAQ as PCAR.